Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Magic of the Web?

So the economy is changing and the whole world is soon going to explode from global warming... I've been thinking lately about how this whole negative attitude that is happening on almost a global scale is affecting business and how people perceive their own business. I've had more calls then ever recently from people looking to update or just get a web presence. People have this magic notion that by putting their business on the web it's going to get them more business. I'm not saying that the web doesn't serve a usefulness - it does. I personally use the web to research and find out what information I can about a business that I'm already interested in - restaurants, vacation spots, bands, etc. I realize that I'm just me and that everyone uses the web differently, but unless you have all the parts of your "marketing" system in place the web will do very little to bring you unique business.

So my question is this - if the news wasn't negative and everyone wasn't complaining about $4 gas would I still be getting these calls or would people just chalk it up to a personal slump? It seems that as individuals we have a hard time analyzing ourselves and our business'. Once it becomes an industry or several then we actually sit down and analyze. Once the tv pundits bring it to our attention then we really start to worry. Can't we think for ourselves anymore? Don't get me wrong, I know our economy has changed, probably for the better when you think long term. Why is it that as a society we have a problem thinking proactive instead of reactive. Why not fix the holes in your "marketing" system when things are good? Personally I think that the problem is we only focus on the present in the good times. I present this 1 idea to you - next time things are good, next time things are great - think about the time in the past (maybe right now) when things weren't so great and use your experience coping through those bad times to avoid it in the future.

Is the web magic? No way! The web doesn't make your business better then it is, it doesn't make your food taste better, it doesn't make your customer service better. The one thing that it may do is drive potential customers to call or visit. What happens at that point is still up to you. Having a web presence is still very important for almost any business. Let those potential customers get introduced to you and understand your business a little bit better before they go out to pursue relationship with you and your business.

And remember be Proactive.

No comments: