Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Client as a Creative?

Since this blog is in one way or another about design I figured this would be a good subject. As always I welcome your input on this subject.

Everyday I hear colleagues talking about what the client doesn't know and what the client doesn't get. I know you hear this over and over, but educate the client. It takes time, effort and lots of energy, but long term you could have a client that you love to work with. Explain to the client why one idea is better then another, show the client examples of printing techniques or ,if the planets align, take the client with you to the print run. Let them see the whole process so they can better understand time lines and budget constraints.

I know, it's painful to try to walk someone through every process and yeah your client may not get it on the first try, but take baby steps. Work every project to be that much further from the previous. If as designers and creative directors we aren't always pushing for our clients to be better, then what's the point. From my personal experience you'll most likely develop a great relationship with your client as well as a trust that can't be bought with any amount of money. And who knows you clients just might become more creative. I even dare say they might be able to make your ideas even better (after all it's their business/industry). I guarantee that the time you spend helping them understand what you do will be well worth it in the long run and just imagine how much better you'll understand what they do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on both sides--as the client, and as the agency representative to the client. Either way you slice it, the dance between clients and creatives is a tough one!

Client Hat On: I know my business, my industry and my product, and I want to be respected for that knowledge. Armed with that knowledge, I can usually take a look at a creative concept and know whether it's right for the business---or way off the mark. My best agency relationships have been with those who were able to hear tough criticism about their creative work, as well as those who were willing to try and step into MY world, to understand my strategies and goals for the project. With a partnership of strengths between strategy & creative--usually comes the best, and most successful work. At the end of the day---if the creative is really beautiful, but totally off strategy, then it is useless to me. And--it's my money paying for those rounds, so if I say it's off strategy, then I want to be heard AND respected for the strategic insight that I bring to the process.

My Agency Hat: Nothing is worse than having a client who thinks they are really creative! There is plenty of art direction going on at the agency level, so getting it from your client as well, just adds to the layers of minutae. I've had clients who hand-draw their ads, bring the competition's items in and say, "make it just like this", and those who have dabbled on their own computers to draft the "1st round" of creative. All are painful to the creative process, but equally taxing on building that level of trust between the two sides. To the client I say, "If you have done a good job outlining your strategy and brand guidelines, then we will work hard within those parameters to achieve the best creative to meet your strategy. But, we ask that you be open to new ideas and ways of thinking...maybe a novel approach is just what your business needs? Maybe it's a brand evolution. Maybe, it's simplicity. Let us figure that out for you."

Both sides need to respect the other for the talents they bring to the table. But both sides also need to recognize that collaboration is where the best work comes from. If your client suggests purple for the background, they may be right! If your agency partner presents a creative concept that is radically different from what you've had in the past---it may earn you a ton of money!

Mutual respect. Collaboration. Partnership. Equal on both sides.

Chris J said...

Just wanted to point out how unique a point that the comment before this really is. To be able to hear from someone with experience on both sides is great. Thanks for the comment. I look forward to more input.