Friday, August 29, 2008

A Job Worth Doing

So today I was reminded of one simple rule of business - a job worth doing is worth doing right. While I always feel this way I have experienced many people that don't.

Today I had guys coming over to sod my yard and the guy who was really just a laborer said "the ground isn't prepared properly and I really hate to put nice sod on this uneven ground". Needless to say his instructions from his boss (the owner of the company) was that it was done and ready to be put down so just do it. This led to a discussion between me and his boss that basically went nowhere. After the owner left the laborer basically explained to me that the company has a new owner and how the new owner has no interest in doing something the best that it can be. He also told me he had very little interest in working under the new owner long term since the owner took no pride in doing the job right. Now remember this guy is just a laborer, just a guy who lays sod. So this laborer and his team decided among themselves that they are going to spend the several extra hours it will take to make the job just right. He had more interest in making me happy then the owner of the company. This guys pride in his job is so important to him that he's willing to go find a company that appreciates the good work he does. Who wouldn't love to have someone like that on their payroll. Needless to say at the end of the day the guys working in the yard, doing all of the hard work. They will be getting a big tip from me.

This really sparked that whole thought of a "a job worth doing is worth doing right". When did that change? When did so many people stop taking interest and pride in their jobs? If a guy laying sod can appreciate what he does so much that he's willing to go the extra mile to make it right, why can't all of us? I personally never take a client for granted. If I'm going to take on a job of course I want to do it to the best of my ability. By doing a great job I that client will refer me to other clients and hopefully I will have the opportunity to work with that same client in the future. It sucks to do work you hate, so if you hate it find a new job or a new client and do stuff you love. Even if you aren't making as much money you'll be much happier in the end. So the next time you take a job, first make sure it's worth doing and second make sure it's done right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky the laborer had some scruples and a good work ethic. What I find frustrating is that these days so many people do not take pride in their job. Why is that? Have people become so complacent that they think "ah well, I can go out and get another job." With today's economy, people can't be so careless. There's not a plethora of jobs out there like there were some time ago. People need to compete and the sod business owner is an idiot for not realizing it. He lost a potential customer in you and will soon be losing a really good worker - which these days are hard to find. I'm glad that the laborer was honest. The tip he will receive is well deserved.