Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Little Passion at Work?


As the day wears on, I find myself staring at my screen waiting for something to jump out at me. Anything, something that will give me that creative energy that I'm currently lacking. This leads me to the question - what do you do to get back into the work mode? In the past I typically would do a little internet surfing to research a current project or I might get the sketch book out and sketch a little, but more and more I found the need to get away from my desk all together. To me I find a great deal of inspiration in nature (when it's nice outside) so these summer months become testing to me. Because of the heat I find myself not wanting to even step outside if I can avoid it. So what's my alternative - some sort of meditative state? Hah - if you know me at all you know that's not going to happen. I recently went back to painting and that's helped a lot. I hadn't "really" painted in 15+ years, but it was always a passion that I knew I would go back to. The thing is regardless of how good or how bad the painting is I feel really energized and ready to accomplish even more on a professional level. I guess my point is, that passion allows me to escape and not really even use my brain and in turn it has really made me a more productive person. I know not everyone can pursue their passion in the middle of work day (can you imaging the entire office emptying out to go surfing), but try and find a passion or just something fun that you can do at work like writing, blogging, origami or maybe marbles with you cell mate, I mean cubicle mate. What ever it is have fun and take a little time to breathe. I guarantee in the end you'll be much more productive at your job and you'll like coming to work much more.
Let us know what you do at work to break up your day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find a passion when you're stuck in a cubicle. But usually finding something online that makes me laugh helps, whether it's a YouTube video or funny news article.

Anonymous said...

I like to make up songs about my dog in my head. The problem is sometimes I find my self singing them out loud. But it does break up my day and gives everyone a little laugh.