Friday, August 15, 2008

Do You Identify with Your Identity?

So, I just wanted to bring up a little subject that I've been discussing with people a lot lately - Identity. I'm not talking about our identities as individuals, but the identities of our companies or the companies we work for.

Most people don't look past their graphic image (logo, promo pieces, etc.) when you mention identity. While all that plays an important part of your identity it's only 1 part. Overall your identity is defined by how others see you. How they form their impressions and opinions of your business. This includes every aspect of your business that comes into contact with the outside world. Sales people, representatives, your lobby, your trucks that make deliveries, your logo, your ads, etc. It also includes the company that your business keeps. What I mean is other businesses that you partner on projects with or vendors that produce items for you clients - in the end they are all representing your company. If your vendors or partner businesses have bad ethical practices you can bet that in the long run it will be a weakness for your company.

So what am I really getting at here? Start examining your company from an outsiders perspective. Think about what they are seeing. So often I go into a business that expects there clients to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars with them, yet they have an outdated interior, an outdated image, an outdated color palate for their logo and everything inside is a mess (and don't even get me started on websites). What in my right mind would make me consider hiring them to do a job. Do what you do when you wake up every morning and get ready to go to work, look in the mirror. Image is important, but it's not your whole identity. You can look pretty on the outside, but if you are shallow and callus you'll be spending your nights alone.

I've turned down many clients based on their unwillingness to examine their own identity before selling themselves. Putting a pile of pooh on a silver platter doesn't make it more enticing. Why do I turn down those clients - because by me choosing to work with them that becomes part of my identity. Personally I'd always like to improve my identity. It's a continuous process that never stops. So never stop thinking about what other's think of your business.

No comments: