Thursday, August 7, 2008

An Example of a Great Client





The post before this I talked about educating the client. On that subject I would like to share an example of what I am talking about. I started working with this client in 2001 and one our first orders of business was producing their annual report. They had done annual reports before this one, but they were kept simple. This particular annual report was the companies 100 year anniversary so they wanted to produce something extra special. That was the first time we worked closely on such a large project.

I worked with the client every step of the way, explaining the printing processes and finishing techniques to achieve what they were looking for. I also made sure the client was involved in the paper selection for the piece as well as being on the 18 hour press run for proofing. I can't say for sure that was the first time the client was on a press proof, but I know he gained a great deal of knowledge and understanding from being involved in that whole process. Since then we've produced many pieces together including 7 more amazing annual reports. Each year the client grew more interested in the materials and concepts - to the point of even bringing very good ideas to the table. Personally I love it when the client feel creative enough to get involved. While every idea a client brings to the table isn't the right one, it's important to be able to explain why it isn't right and work on a way to have a great concept.

I can honestly say that the little bit of time that I've spent over the years educating this client on the process has come back to me 10 times in the ability to be more creative and in-turn produce much better work for them. The results have obviously be seen by the client or else we wouldn't still be working together. Respect the client and maybe then they will respect the process. Above are some photos of the work we've produced together. More are located at my site.

No comments: