Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Now That's a Good Change


So, I've been talking a lot lately about all these brands that have been re-branding or re-packaging and going down the wrong road. In my weekly trips to the grocery store I notice a lot brands going under the knife and I wanted to talk about a re-design that I thought really works.

Several weeks ago Baked Lay's introduced a new flavor called Southwestern Ranch to launch their new package design. It's hard to believe that Baked Lays have been around for 15 years, but it is nice to see them move beyond their bright yellow packaging. The new design uses toned down colors as well as a nice new matte finish material for the package. It's also nice that BAKED has basically become a brand so they made it much larger on the package. This is also a great example of how you can take an existing logo and make some minor adjustments to it and adapt for the present day (something Tropicana should have thought about). You really have to examine the logo closely to realize the changes that were made.

Now here is the real kicker. Over the last several weeks Lay's have slowly been working the new look into their existing flavors. Oh, by the way, I purchased the new flavor because of the package and it is rather nice (a bit spicy, but I like). So I'm looking this last weekend and actually saw about 1/2 of the Baked Lay's flavors in there nice new wrapping and actually picked up the Sour Cream & Onion and put it into my cart. It wasn't until a minute later that I realized I don't even really care for Sour Cream & Onion - but the colors of the package was just so appealing I picked it up. Of course I put it back and insisted on only grabbing a flavor with the new look (I'm a package snob). Congrats Lay's on making our shopping experience more enjoyable. I'm just glad to see a successful re-design that isn't a step backwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, the new design is much cleaner and direct. an improvement for sure. thank you for pointing this out and sharing new designs...